Monday, November 21, 2011

Fun Fantasy Reads for Younger Readers

Before Harry Potter and the whole Twilight craze, there were a lot of fun books concerning the same topics written for young readers. Most of them are probably hiding in your bookshelves now, or in the bottom of old backpacks and you don't even realize they're there.

You don't believe me? Well, what about if I told you the name of the author. I bet a number of you remember something he wrote. Bruce Coville.

I thought that would ring a bell with some of you. He wrote the Camp Haunted Hills series, the My Teacher Series and a lot of other fun reads for youth readers. I remember the laugh I had when I saw one of the My Teacher books in my little brothers backpack. He thought it was something new.

But the books he wrote that I want to share today are his Magic Shop Books.

There are three of them. (I wish there were more.)The Monster's Ring,Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher, and Jennifer Murdley's Toad. They each had a different fun story to tell, and I won't lie, one made me cry. Anyways here's the simple details. (in case you didn't notice that I named them already ^_~)

The Monster's Ring
Bruce Coville
87 Pages

Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher
Bruce Coville
148 pages

Jennifer Murdley's Toad
Bruce Coville
156 pages

All three books are well written. Each one has a separate story to tell. But a common theme they each share is the importance of following directions. But they each have different characters, and interesting outcomes.

Bullies are mentioned in them as well, and the effect their words have on other people. It's not that there aren't books that deal with this now, But I enjoy the way that the situations are shown in these books. I also like the way they are handled.

Now, I know it doesn't look like they're very long once they're added up. But you shouldn't let that be a deterrent . They're very enjoyable. Honestly, I reread one of them yesterday and it still makes me laugh. And in case you were wondering, I'm currently over 25.

Yes they do have reading level's on the back, but that should never be a reason not to read something. I've never really been one to pay attention to that. Either the content is appropriate and enjoyable or it isn't.

And I HIGHLY recommend these books. My copies are slightly tattered these days, but that doesn't change how much I've enjoyed them. You might find that the young folk in your life would enjoy them too.

No comments:

Post a Comment