Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Short Stories aren't to be Brushed Off

Recently I've been reading a fair number of short stories. Why? because they are generally enjoyable and there are a LARGE number of them available online from both well known and aspiring writers. This means that you never know what kind of treat you may find when you start reading.

I will be honest, there are some things that I have read that I will not bother to give a recounting of. I apologize to the authors of these un named pieces, but everyone has preferences. So as sorry as i am, i do not apologize for having different tastes than you.
____________

The Ugly Kids
by Renee Adames
73 pages

Part of me wanted to do a full entry on this story alone, but I couldn't quite come up with enough to say that wouldn't give away the story. The Ugly Kids is a fun trip to High School, and the life of a less than social student. There are some highly amusing moments, like when the character named Gohber eats Lily's clownfish.

Lily seems to be the main character, a taller than usual girl who raises fish. Gohber is a Goblin. Talk about a pleasent surprise for me. (after all how many Goblins are 'good' in books?) As a whole the story is quite fun, and I would recommend it as a fun read for ages 10 and up.
____________

Melvin the Dry Cleaning Zombie and The Vampire Shoe Warehouse
by PJ Jones
81 pages

This two story offering was very amusing. When I acquired it originally, I thought that it was going to be some sort of mini adventure story about a Zombie. But once I actually opened the file up I found out that it was two separate stories.

The first story, about Melvin, is about how Zombie's are integrated into society by having them do dry cleaning. Due to some content in this particular piece, I do not recommend these stories for younger readers at all.

The Vampire Shoe Warehouse is a cute story about how insecurities can affect the way we interact with others, as well as the way they interact with us. It also hints at ways to deal with them. This one is fun, but again, has content that is not recommended for younger readers.
____________

Magical Entities Are Not For Sale
by Chris Turner
48 pages

This story was charming, and had a more polished feel to it. The story looked at a girls existence at a 'toy' and 'candy' shop, and her education in the arts of the shop. A wonderful story for all ages.
____________

Two little Dead Girls
by Derek Clendening
92 pages

While Two Little Dead Girls has made it onto todays list, I will not say that it is the best one.(and I won't say it's the worst, after all I already said that there are stories that haven't made the cut.) But what I both like and dislike about this story is what it looks at. The story looks at the way Cancer causes a women to go through her life. Younger readers may find the story a bit hard to follow at times. But it says a lot bout how people see each other, as well as feel about each other.
____________


Now I want to remind you, that I have READ every item that I mention on this blog. I have no intentions of bad mouthing any writer, or discouraging other readers from exploring the written word. I simply want to help people see some of the stories that aren't as often mentioned. Whether they are hard copy or eText doesn't matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment