Saturday, December 24, 2011

Because It's Christmas Eve...

...And I'm a sentimental old sot, I'm posting a classic reading for you. Yes I know that makes it sound like I'm not being creative, and I'm not letting a new author have a chance, but there are a few reasons for what I am doing in this post. Not that I really need to validate myself, or really give a reasoning for any of my reading choices. I read because I enjoy reading, but what are the reasons for to-days reading suggestion?

One is that I'm commemorating a memory, and letting you get a glimpse into some of the things that my family is interested in. So, now let me explain and let you in on what's going on today. My father has always liked to watch the old black and white Christmas Carol film when its aired Christmas eve, much to most of our groans and irritated demeanor's, the memory has stuck with me. Now, cable wasn't something we had then, so that's why we often watched whatever was on, which frequently included this story.

Another reason is because it's a well known story, but how many of us have ever actually read it? A Christmas Carol was originally written as a ghost story. In the past Christmas wasn't always about the shiny red paper, and the reindeer with a red nose. There was an undertone of 'the end' of things. It was a celebration during the coldest part of the year, when most things were frozen over, and people were kept inside due to temperatures. Oh, and back then it wasn't like they had tvs or radios either. People then shared stories. And often ghost stories were the most frequent ones told in the flickering light from the different flames.

Yeah, that's what I thought. I'm sure a lot of you have seen some of the movies based on this old tale. I can't even think of all the titles they've come up with, or the variations.

A Christmas Carol
Charles Dickens
82 pages

I'm sure a lot of you groaned, or have already realized that it was going to be this book. First published in 1843 it really is amazing that it has kept a hold over people's imaginations. As I read the first page of actual story (my copy included a preface and a short biography in the front that took up maybe 4 pages) I realized why it has lasted so well.

The attitudes of the characters are clear, and there seems to be different characters that each reader may love or agree with. (As long as it isn't Scrooge I suppose you're safe.) Impressively there seems to be a good many things in the story that appeal to me, even now. The language is great.

But why read it when there are so many movies based on it? For one thing, reading it is something that can be done in a group if so wished, enabling you to create new opinions about the characters. Not only that you can find ways to make your own interpretations of what a character would sound like. This would definitely be fun to read in the round, passing it around, and hearing how different people express a statement.

Anyways, have a good Christmas eve if that's what you're celebrating.

No comments:

Post a Comment