Friday, December 2, 2011

Old Story that Passes the Test of Time

When we are small, different family members send us things that stick with us in different ways. For me, a lot of the things I have are books.

When I was very little my Great Grandmother gave me a book, and over the years it fell apart and I don't know what happened to the original book(or what was left of it). So imagine my surprise when I picked up a copy at the bookstore.

It seems that story she wanted to share with me, is one that other people felt the same about.

The Littlest Angel
by Charles Tazewell

First of all, this is a childrens picture book. And the art in the copy I have here now is very different than the art in my long ago book. The artist who did the art in this verssion is Paul Micich, and he gives things a slightly more realistic look.

Originally published in 1946, this story has lasted the test of time for a few reasons. One reason is that it adds a new element to the Classic Christian Christmas Story. It doesn't attempt to change it in any way, but it does give a new element to the story that children can appreciate.

It offers a child (other than the Baby) a place in the christmas story. It also expresses the idea that things of value, are not always the most expensive ones. They are the ones that come from the heart.

I also know that Hallmark at one point did The Littlest Angel as a musical, and I will admit to driving my brothers nuts with the record when I was home(love the numbers "What Do You Do When You Say You're Doing Nothing" and "I have got..." though those may not be the proper titles for the songs). Done in 1969, the movie hasn't stood up to time the way the story has. There are a lot of green screen issues, that to the modern viewer can be annoying. I don't mind them, but I would love to see it redone as well.

But if you're looking for a book to share with a child this winter, take a look at this story. I apologize it offends anyone, but I do love this story So I simply had to share it with you as a recommendation this winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment