Friday, December 23, 2011

Not really a Solstice Story

I'm always on the look out for stories that may be used to show other people how different people celebrate holidays they may not know themselves. So when I found the piece that I'm going to tell you about today, I had high hopes. They were mostly dashed to be honest, But the story has a saving grace. It is very amusing.

::Content may offend Some::

'Twas The Night Before Solstice
Celeste Drolle
5 pages

Before you get excited about this post, please let me disappoint you. You're not going to be reading a piece looking at Solstice in the pagan sense, or even the fairy sense. It's a spoof of the old 'Twas The Night Before Christmas story/poem with a focus on drugs.

The descriptions rely on some stereotyping, but the rhyming is done well. The descriptions of some of the characters made me laugh, but I am glad that it wasn't any longer than it is. If it was any longer it might have been too distasteful.

I must STRONGLY state that this is NOT intended for young readers. The content of the piece is intended for responsible adults. Especially those that may dabble in alternative life choices. (It's an amusing piece, that they might understand better than people with no experience with the issues at hand).

I was disappointed that the piece wasn't pagan at all. The title gave me high hopes. (serves me right, in the future i will have to be far more particular when I read the descriptions). So my real complaint is that I feel I was mislead. true, not all readers would jump to the same conclusion that I did, but I am sure more have than will willingly admit it.

3 stars simply because of entertainment value, and good rhyming, otherwise it would get 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment