Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Fantasy Christmas Tale

Children have a habit of creating worlds that they escape to, where they are powerful and respected. Places where nothing can hurt them, and every action has some sort of consequence that may be unexpected. They never plan to grow up and forget these things, but many of them do. Honestly, I'm afraid to say that even I fell prey to the curse of the grownup.

But that doesn't mean that I don't believe in the fantastical anymore. Quite the contrary in fact, I believe that there is good in everyone. I know that there will always be another day, and that there's no reason to rush things that can be finished then. But I also have learned how to evaluate deadlines, and utilize my creativity to come up with unique solutions to problems. So let's get on with the story then.

Christmas in NeverEarth
Sylvan Scott
22 Pages

This is an open ended piece, but it is quite effective. The language evokes a type of majestic fantasy realm like that of C.S. Lewis. But instead of a child entering the realm, we see an adult. Although it states that the main character Anthony is only 19, I will say adult due to the feel of the character. He's described well, and you really like him.

The second character, as well as a number of the beginning descriptions are what evokes the Narnia feel to me. The support character is a satyr named Wiste. He acts as a catalyst agent in order to provoke the buried memories of NeverEarth that Anthony had forgotten. He also helps to give a more thorough explanation of the past, even if it is only revealed in small snippets to the reader.

The writing is very clean, and although there are hints at GLBT issues, the only one that really is covered is the concern about telling people. Hopefully by saying that I do not ruin the story for you. The story itself is clean, so I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to teens or adults. Children might enjoy some of the scenes, but the true magic of the piece might be lost on them.

I also really enjoyed the writers use of a labyrinth type world crossing concept. It seems well thought out, and brings to mind other fables and stories that use the idea. It makes me think of the fairy hills. and the stories people have told about them, as well as tales that include the use of ley lines. I enjoyed this piece as a whole.

I do agree with some of the others who have read it, that it would have been awesome to have a longer piece. But I think part of the authors point is to let the readers wonder and create their own "adventure", and leave them wondering until the next installment is available. A good choice really, because I've noticed that good authors leave their readers wanting more. And I know taht I'll be waiting for the next NeverEarth tale.

If you read it do let me know what you think of it, as I'm sure the author would also like to hear your thoughts. So remember to review what you read at the download site. It helps the author, and it helps other readers to decide if the piece is something they might enjoy, or if it is a waste of their time.

No comments:

Post a Comment