Saturday, December 3, 2011

I'd Like to teach The World to Sing

People are amazing creatures. We sing for fun, we speak, we make friends that last for a lifetime. Winter is a time when a lot of people start to feel nostalgic. Now I know that I try to post multiple stories together generally. But today I found a story that is speaks to me and reminds me of a number of my friends.

In the past, my family has gone Christmas caroling. Not that it's a bad thing, it just is what it is. You get cold, and you get cranky the longer your out. But on the plus side you generally get a cookie or candy cane afterwards. (yes i think that is just rewards considering you generally only carol to entertain and brighten up people's winter holiday.) We've caroled at hospitals with church and Youth Group, as well as an Alzheimer unit. It is definitely something to consider trying.

This story explores caroling in a way that is very charming. Because IMO anyone and everyone can sing. (That doesn't mean everyone is good, but everyone has the ability to try ^_~)

Songs of Lesser Voices
Christina York
16 pages

This is a very quick read that explores ideas a number of us have likely shared. The desire to fit in, to be able to do something that everyone else is doing. Only to come to the realization that there is a 'social' barrier, some unwritten thing keeping you from experiencing what you dreamed of doing.

This story explores an option, a solution you might say. It is adorable, sweet, and realistic. I think if you know anyone that has felt daunted at any point when it comes to singing, this story might be something that might cheer them up a bit.

So here's to merry voices! If you go caroling please let me know what songs you perform. Or, if you've gone in the past, let me know what your favorite song is. ^_~

No comments:

Post a Comment